Friday 24 June 2011

What are Story Walks?

I wrote this below for the Exmoor Magazines blog and felt it should be here also. The core ideals of Toy Ahoy (my toy shop) come from the place where children often reside - their imagination, that land of play and as an adult it seems to be a place we never frequent or at least very rarely. 

Whilst writing the storywalks I was determined to be creative in a manner I have not done before, to work in a new medium. In order to do this I felt I should draw upon my childhood somehow and also apply 'new tech' to traditional storytelling.

Many years ago my Mum said to me after seeing my teacher, that 'I always was a bit of a day dreamer.' I was only nine at the time but remember this vividly still.

Today I know my colours have not changed, and I am still in part the day dreamer but feel it is the part of me which hasn't been sanitised or educated away. the last bit of my childhood that is the fresh bow in the mind.

So here it is, the blog for Exmoor Magazine, hope it makes sense and draws a few more into the coven!

Story Walks – Tales from the Combe, are free site specific stories that you can download into your smart phone or sat nav. Each chapter of the story is linked to the location and with clever use of the GPS you are guided along, not sure where it will end or what will happen. The stories are all different, site specific, and ask you to interact with the tale as you journey.

Chris Jelley of Toy Ahoy Minehead has made these three stories, all of which are free to download and walk, and all take place in stunning locations in West Somerset.

‘I created them for my family originally (and myself!) but thought perhaps others would like to enjoy them too, so I timidly offered them to my regular customers who I thought might be interested. This went really well so the next natural step was Somerset Art Week this autumn which would connect to a different audience entirely.’

In preparation for SAW a web page followed (www.tinyurl.com/storywalks) which would answer those FAQ’s and put all the correct links together. I needed to make it as easy as possible for people to do the walks and not let the tech get in the way of the tale.

At the end of each walk is a hidden book for you to make your mark and prove that you have done it. They are great as you get to read what others have written after their experience. There is also a blog http://storywalks.blogspot.com/ (which is here!) where there are photos and testimonials from those who have recently done the walks.

So in a nut shell
Three walks, three locations, three journeys.
Site specific story walks in west Somerset,
Download app and walk into your smart phone,
Travel to the location
Read out loud to friends and family
Let the story unravel the secret path
Become part of the tale
Sign the hidden log
Spread the word
Suitable for all ages

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.