Tuesday 27 September 2011

The sun always shines on the righteous!



Last week I walked the Winding Charm in Dunster and read it out loud to all who came. 

As with all performances I must admit I was a little nervous and on the morning in question the skies were black and pendulous, it had actually rained quite a lot over the last day or two and I thought the ground was going to be very slippery indeed.

I made my way to the Yarn Market to find my first companions waiting and already part drowned They had only walked from the car park in Dunster and looked like they had swam it.

But there is no such thing as bad weather just poor clothing, and my devoted storywalkers were suitably dressed in boots and proper coats.

Their heads were wet but spirits were in good stead, which is all the well as the walk does take a good couple of hours, and dragging little ones about Dunster in the rain would have been foolish.


There was rain and there was sun in equal measure, but my story, the Winding Charm has enough interactivity to draw in all the little (and big!) people along it's path. I was a little worried that I wold have too many people when I first posted and then have difficulty managing the crowd. But I was not to worry about over subscription as the rain was enough to make only the devout attend (or the fool hardy!) 

On the walk we did catch a heavy shower crossing Dunster castle grounds, but were more amazed at the mass of people picnicking at the same time, they were couched beneath umbrellas and parasols, bracing themselves against Britain's best. What gusto, and stiff upper lipishness, but picnicking in the UK is always a little bit like weather roulette.

The end of the walk finished with both sun and rain together which meant we had the treat of a rainbow which seems very fitting for the crescendo of a folk story.

Many thanks to all those who came.

The next one I will be reading out loud is The Last Queen, in Horner Woods. This is not actually in Horner but about 10 mins drive up the valley. The walk starts at Pool Bridge campsite entrance, with the nearest post code being TA24 8JS.

See you there.





Sunday 2nd October 2011

Horner water -  The Last Queen - No charge, just your time.

Meet at 11am (pool bridge) OS Land Ranger ref SS874447 with the family ready for a walk into the woods, and perhaps a wild swim at the end!

1.5 miles total allow 2 hrs

GPS 51.19058,-3.61124

OS Land Ranger SS874447








No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.