Saturday 18 August 2012

Red Riding Hood Must Die



Red Riding Hood Must Die, I love the title of this card, there are so many books about Red which vary immensely on whether she is good or evil. My personal favourite is where the Wood Cutter comes to the rescue, where both Grandma and Red have been eaten but with a swift heft of the mighty axe the wolf is slain and both Grandma and Red climb out of the wolfs belly unharmed.

In a similar vein, when I was a child there was a folk tale about a fox who eat up a family of pigs. The youngest escaped to return later whilst the fox slept. The young pig slit open the foxes belly and rescue his family, he then filled the foxes belly with rocks and stitched it back up again. When the fox finally awoke he had such a thirst that he ran to the well to drink, fell in and was never seen again!

I was never sure whether I should feel sorry for the Pigs, Red, the Wolf or the Fox, and every time the tales were told I would change my allegiance. Perhaps its the old adage of loving the under dog, or our skewed perception of fairness that is weighed against the perceived oppressor, and who are they in these stories anyway? Well in my experience it depends on the teller and the listener, and as for Grandma in the tale, well if you really want to know, she is the one who wrote this -

Red Riding Hood Must Die

But that's a different tale altogether

PS I have decided to call these cards 'Bleak Fortunes' with a tag line of 'the pessimistic deck' what do you think. Today I pulled the card called 'The Switch Doctor' and I shall leave that story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.