Sunday 1 July 2012

of fish, flowers and flesh


These are two pictures I took this morning on Dunster Beach, I love the contrast of both light, colour and mood. When writing my tales I feel this is often the dilemma that I face, on the one hand hyper real, sickly sweet, then on the other gritty, stark and immediate. Separating the two into elements which co-exist and compliment is tricky and is possibly the test of any author when looking for a voice to tell their tale. But without contrast how can you illustrate?


For me it is easy to fall into the darkness, and avoid pinks and peppermints, but then I pull myself short and try and flip it around. These pictures are the same place, the same time, the same weather, but the narrative is totally different, and I love that. Its a reminder to me that everyone sees differently, hears differently, responds differently, and finding a narrative and place which can resonate with the viewer across these islands is the test and the fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.